Marketing your business these days is a tough battle. As a business owner you are bombarded by companies wanting to sell you this, promise to get you first page rankings with their magic Search Engine Optimization, selling you directory listings to increase exposure online, you name it.
Truth is, there is no magic. Just different tactics to get results. A lot are very similar with small differences but I wanted to provide my advice for small business on how to get started with an online marketing strategy.
First and foremost you need a website. I know there are so many options out there and businesses like Wix.com and 1and1.com offer some great free and cheap options for those that just want to get something up. I know FREE and CHEAP are things the business love but anyone who plans on having a serious marketing strategy should stay away from these.
Here are a few reasons:
- No Real SEO Value: SEO is not just making sure your site uses proper HTML to get visibility online, and this is all they offer.
- Expansion: Do you want to add custom functionality at some point in the future? These sites won’t cut it.
- Limited Design: These sites have templates, some that look great, but you won’t be able to make tiny adjustments and often won’t get what you are looking for.
So what’s the solution?
Most businesses will be perfectly fine with a WordPress CMS based website. No longer is it just considered blogging software. It is a full fledged CMS that makes so many pieces of a marketing strategy that much easier. Whether custom designed or based off of a template these sites are easy to set up and easy to manage.
Next step? Get found online…
SEM or Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing has to do with getting your website to show up online. The two main ways this is done is with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) or PPC (Pay per click ads). SEO is a long term strategy and has many factors that go into ranking, so we’ll save this discussion for a later blog. What I want to focus on is what can bring your awesome results, fast.
- Trackable. Measurable. You know exactly how many times your ad shows, how much each click costs and ultimately how much a lead or conversion is costing you.
- Instant results. You can get a PPC campaign up and running within a few hours.
- Target your geo. Only show your ads where your customers are, or as small of an area you can afford.
- Control your budget. You can set daily spend amounts to make sure you don’t spend too much
I could go on and on about the benefits of PPC, but I want you to know, bottom line, PPC is the best and fastest way to get your business found on search engines and start brining in customers. Once you get up and running with PPC, then you will want to layer in other pieces, we’ll go into each product, benefits and best practices in future blogs.
Look for posts on:
- Email Marketing
- Online Display
- Reputation Management
- and more…
At TN Media, all of these online marketing products and have the expertise to help you grow your business.
Feel free to contact me directly at 615.232.4952
Click the link to my article on the TN Media blog for more information about why you should advertise with Google.